I’ve found it to be more and more of a pain to quickly write something, want to see how it’ll look as HTML, and become frustrated to find out that I write so infrequently that my blog isn’t running as a server. So I set out over the last 30 minutes to set up Jekyll to play nicely with POW!
The first problem I ran into was that POW! doesn’t find the rvm gemset properly. In fact, their docs still discuss using a .rvmrc, which was deprecated quite a while ago now. POW! has deprecated the .rvmrc, but they also don’t use .ruby-version and .ruby-gemset properly yet. In any case, here’s the setup:
The good news is that this will only start the blog for 15 minutes at a time before killing it, so I don’t need to worry about it taking up a ton of battery power when I’m not writing.
The only drawback to this approach is that it only works for Rack servers. I’d strongly prefer a generic service monitoring service, that would take in pairs of command lines and ports to proxy requests for, and automatically have it send SIGTERM to a service that hasn’t received any requests for a few minutes. But that’s a huge project for another day.